Monday, May 26, 2008

Passage

In ancient Greek plays, a Chorus was used to express to the audience what the main characters could not say, especially about their fears or secrets. Was the choir's job to remind us of passages that might lead to the underworld or subconscious? 

Although it has been more than 2000 years since such choirs were regularly used in stage dramas, I have a Chorus that occasionally visits, reminding me in whispers of unpleasant memories and unresolved "secrets". These are not entirely unknown to me. I just do not like to dwell on some of the themes my Chorus sings when the day ends and I am no longer distracting myself with books, work, friends, fishing, or my garden.

I believe everyone has a Greek Chorus. Including those who claim loudly otherwise. Often too loudly. Even those who are most wired into modern culture, Millennium Gen kids, will on occasion express insightful knowledge about their fears and wounds in unguarded moments. The vast array of electronic distractions that appear to fill the lives of so many youthful and not so youthful friends and family do not distract enough for them to avoid the empty spaces which occasionally are inhabited with the whispers from their Chorus.

Listening to my Chorus has never been pleasant. And almost always instructive. It has been and I believe will continue to be like opening a locked passage and entering to learn lessons from the choir. And most important ... to be reminded that even behind locked doors where painful memories live, life can go on with joy. The past does not entirely determine the future unless I surrender to it.

No comments: