Thursday, May 15, 2008

Lessons for Boomers


in service
Originally uploaded by ken e williams photos
My friends know I often complain, whine and ponder the life style choices of the generation that follows my age group - the “boomers”. I am unable to understand, for example, binge drinking, multiple partner sexual experimentation, undisciplined credit card consumption leading to piles of debt. All this strikes me as narcissism at a level greater than the excesses of my generation.

If he were alive, my dad might disagree. He expressed, in 1969, dismay and disgust at my long hair, casual dress, choosing to live an “impoverished” life style and involvement with social & political activism. It remains my responsibility to ponder the differences and remind myself that, as in my youth, there are variations in the generation that currently challenges my values.

Nicholas Kristof recently wrote a tribute to members of the generation behind me. You can read his essay here. 

He thoughtfully documents that my generation could learn something from those still in high school and even grade school about caring for others, those that Dr. Lew Zirkle refers to as the “gray people”. Those left out and left behind. Find out about Lew’s work here.

There may be more folks accomplishing good through generosity and courage than those living only for themselves. It has been an important note for me to pay attention to these “kids” as well as members of the boomer generation who are taking a stand for the “gray people” ... and making a difference in the lives of those folks left out and left behind.

No comments: